Volunteers from Meals on Wheels Armidale and Uralla received a top award at Tuesday's 2019 New England Volunteer Awards during a ceremony at the council chambers in Armidale. Their valuable contribution to the local community was recognised when they were presented with the Alwyn Jones Community Award.
A not-for-profit organisation Meals On Wheels Armidale and Uralla had a team of 200 volunteers delivering 3000 meals per month to elderly people, who may then remain in their homes and retain their independence for longer, as well as benefit from the measure of social interaction provided.
Armidale Cancer Council received the Armidale Volunteer Referral Service Volunteer Team of the Year award.
The Senior Volunteer of the year (65 years +) prize was jointly awarded to Shirley Cook and Roy Bennett. Shirley was nominated for her contribution to the U3A Armidale and Roy was selected for his dedication to Guyra's branch of the Westpac Helicopter Group.
Romayne Grace was named Adult Volunteer of the Year for her work at Armidale Care for Seniors. Romayne has volunteered with Care for Seniors since 2011 and is always bright and cheerful, providing a happy face as the first point of contact within the office.
The awards were coordinated by Council's Armidale Volunteer Referral Service in conjunction with Armidale Uniting Church, which has organised the Alwyn Jones Community Award since 2005.
The awards ceremony was hosted during the 2019 National Volunteer Week, which celebrates the six million Australians who generously volunteer their time.
Armidale Volunteer Referral Service Coordinator Jane Davies said National Volunteer Week and the awards ceremony provided a great opportunity to thank the many volunteers who help to make our community stronger and to acknowledge and appreciate their efforts and commitment.
2019 New England Volunteer Award Nominees were:
- Armidale Sanctuary Home Reading Volunteers
- Guyra Lamb and Potato Festival
- Armidale/Uralla Meals on Wheels
- Armidale Cancer Council Information Service (Winner)
- Armidale Community Radio
- Hinton's Journal Research Team
Adult 25-60 Years:
- Dianne Burey - Guyra Hospital Auxiliary
- Romayne Grace - Armidale Care for Seniors (Winner)
- Cathy Banton - Settlement Services International
- Jess Schmidt - Settlement Services International
- Rita Lockyer - Settlement Services International
- Roy Bennett - Guyra Branch of the Westpac Rescue Helicopter (Winner)
- Shirley Cook - University of the Third Age (Winner)
- Ruth Nicholls - Settlement Services International
- Darrell Whan - New England Regional Art Museum
Alwyn Jones Community Award:
- Armidale/Uralla Meals on Wheels (Winner)
- Romayne Grace - Armidale Care for Seniors
- Shirley Cook - University of the Third Age
- Armidale Community Radio
Have your say.Click this link to send a letter to the editor.