Labor has declared a Morrison government cabinet minister's public denial of historical rape allegations will not settle the issue.
The man is expected to front the media on Wednesday to protest his innocence for the first time after the allegations surfaced last week.
The alleged sexual assault occurred in 1988 when the woman was 16.
She went to police last year but withdrew the complaint before taking her own life in June.
Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese joined calls for Prime Minister Scott Morrison to ensure the matter is properly investigated beyond the minister's statement.
Mr Albanese raised an inquiry, like the investigation into sexual harassment allegations against ex-High Court judge Dyson Heydon, or a coronial inquest as options.
"This will require further leadership and action from the prime minister," he told reporters on the NSW central coast on Wednesday.
"Now that the existing legal processes have been unable to proceed, certainly in terms of NSW Police, I think people will be looking for further responses beyond any statement that might be made today by the minister."
The Labor leader said Mr Morrison's response that it was a matter solely for police was inadequate while also stressing the presumption of innocence was crucial.
"This is a disturbing allegation," Mr Albanese said.
"The accusation that was made by the woman is very detailed, and quite harrowing. People are looking for leadership on this issue."
NSW Police has closed its investigation into the allegations over a lack of admissible evidence to proceed.
Mr Morrison has previously said the cabinet minister vigorously denies the allegations.
The minister has sought advice from highly regarded defamation lawyer Peter Bartlett, a partner at MinterEllison.
Lawyer Michael Bradley, who represented the woman, said it was no longer a criminal matter.
"We have a senior cabinet minister who's been accused of a grave crime and that calls into question his integrity and, at the moment, the integrity of the whole cabinet," he told the Seven Network.
Mr Bradley believes the minister should step down while an independent inquiry looks at the allegation.
One of the woman's friends, Jo Dyer, said the acts she described were shocking.
"The detail she recounted, the lucidity with which she recounted it and the clear impact that it had on her, all of these things persuaded me immediately she was telling the truth," she told the ABC.
NSW Council for Civil Liberties president Pauline Wright is calling for an investigation, which would ensure the minister received a fair hearing.
"The Australian people deserve to have it got to the bottom of," Ms Wright told ABC radio.
The South Australian coroner is investigating the woman's death but it's uncertain if that will lead to a coronial inquest.
Nationals senator Matt Canavan warned removing the minister from his job on the basis of an allegation could set a dangerous precedent.
His party room colleague Barnaby Joyce backs an independent inquiry but wants it held behind closed doors to avoid a trial by media.
The government has been under intense scrutiny for more than two weeks after former Liberal staffer Brittany Higgins alleged she was raped by a colleague in Parliament House in 2019.
Australian Associated Press