THE North West could be in for some bad weather conditions this afternoon, with a severe thunderstorm warning issued for the North West Slopes and Plains by The Bureau of Meteorology .
The bureau predicted large hailstones and damaging winds in areas around Mullaley, which is looking likely to cop the brunt of the storm, according to radar images.
Other locations which may be affected include Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Taree, Armidale, Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree, Narrabri, Mungindi, Coonabarabran, Sawtell and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.