Bingara murder: police appeal for mystery caller with information on Darren Willis' disappearance to make contact with Moree detectives

Murder probe: Police will search for Darren Royce Willis on Tuesday who is believed to have been murdered in Bingara in 2010.

Murder probe: Police will search for Darren Royce Willis on Tuesday who is believed to have been murdered in Bingara in 2010.

DETECTIVES believe an anonymous caller could hold the key to solving the murder of a Bingara man almost eight years ago.

Strike Force Barca detectives are trying to piece together who killed Darren ‘Spaz’ Willis in Bingara in 2010.

An anonymous caller phoned Crime Stoppers last month and now officers believe that person could “hold the key” to the case, New England Detective Inspector Ann Joy told The Leader.

“Detectives wish to speak to the caller who contacted Crime Stoppers at 7pm on Saturday the 14th of July, 2018, and provided information,” she said.

“Strike Force Barca investigators believe the information received could be of great significance.

Detectives wish to speak to the caller who contacted Crime Stoppers at 7pm on Saturday the 14th of July, 2018, and provided information.

New England Detective Inspector Ann Joy

“We are urging that person to make contact again and speak with detectives directly at Moree Police Station on 02 6757 0799.

“Speaking with an investigator may elicit more pertinent detail that is important to the investigation.”

Mr Willis disappeared after leaving a Bingara hotel on Maitland Street on the night of December 10, 2010. 

His body has never been found but a breakthrough in the case earlier this year turned the long-term missing person report into a murder cold case – prompting a $350,000 reward for any information that leads police to his killers.

Already detectives have “persons of interest” and are hunting who murdered and disposed of Mr Willis’ body.

“The information we have received supports investigators’ belief that Mr Willis has met with foul play,” Detective Inspector Joy said.

“We have identified a number of persons of interest and they are now the focus of our inquiries.

“Investigators have received a lot of valuable information from the community regarding the disappearance of Mr Willis.

READ MORE:

“This is a timely reminder that a government reward of $350,000 is available for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the death or disappearance of Mr Willis.”

Strike Force Barca was formed to investigate Mr Willis’ disappearance earlier this year.

In July, senior officers confirmed a yellow ute is at the centre of the murder probe.

In late-May, as part of the murder probe, specialist officers and divers combed the river and its banks in the Eaglehawk Reserve, or Four Mile area, as its known to locals on the outskirts of Bingara.

Anyone with information on Mr Willis’ disappearance is urged to contact detectives at Moree Police Station on  6757 0799.

This story Mystery caller ‘could hold the key’ in cold-case murder: police first appeared on The Northern Daily Leader.

Comments