A FAULTY heater could be to blame for a fire which ripped through a home south of Uralla early on Monday morning.
Police said a working smoke alarm inside the Noalimba Ave home in Kentucky saved the sleeping resident’s life after it sounded about 2.30am.
The 36-year-old man woke up and went to investigate when he saw the flames.
“He walked out of his bedroom and was met by a cloud of thick black smoke and flames inside the house,” New England Acting Inspector Stuart Gray said.
He walked out of his bedroom and was met by a cloud of thick black smoke and flames.- New England Acting Inspector Stuart Gray
“He made a quick exit through the house, grabbing only his bare essentials, but he managed grab his phone and went outside and called for help.”
Neighbours rushed to help the man and fire crews were alerted, and were on the scene shortly after. Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze but it destroyed the house, reducing it to charred remains.
A crime scene was set up, but Acting Inspector Gray said it was a miracle no one was injured.
“Following preliminary inquiries, it is not believed to be suspicious,” he said. “We believe at this stage it may be related to an electrical heater in the house, but we are appealing for anyone with information that might help us to come forward.”
It is the second recent fire in the region after an Armidale home was destroyed by fire last week.
Police believe a blaze that took hold of an Ohio Street home started when two teenagers used an accelerant to light a fire.
A 15-year-old boy and girl were admitted to Armidale hospital after the fire, which engulfed the Ohio St home on Tuesday.
“The 15-year-old boy and girl suffered some minor injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns,” New England Acting Inspector John Walkowiak said.
“Police believe they were trying to light the fire and used an accelerant. It exploded and quickly spread to the loungeroom and the rest of the house.”
The damage bill is still being tallied.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.