A FATHER who had his firearms taken off him hasn’t ruled out arming himself again to protect his family.
David Dunstan had three guns and his licence returned to him on Wednesday.
The man had a knife and length of wood.
Mr Dunstan said he now had hockey sticks in case he needed to protect himself and his family, but wouldn’t rule out grabbing a gun again.
“If worse came to worst, I would do the same thing again,” he said. “I’d have to.
“It’s far easier to lose my guns than to lose my kids."
“It all depends on the circumstances.
“We live half-an-hour out of town, we’ve got to do something.”
The father-of-three received a letter from NSW Police stating the ban was lifted.
But it also said he couldn’t use the guns to protect himself.
“It is important that you understand that the legislation prohibits you from possessing or using firearms for the purpose of personal protection,” the letter states.
Mr Dunstan said he may consider a stint in politics if the right party came along.
“There’s nothing wrong with the gun laws, we just need to polish up the way they’re administered,” he said.
“Are you supposed to get stabbed first?”
The farmer said it was great to have his guns, which had been stored at an Albury firearms business, returned.
“I’m happy that it’s had a positive outcome,” he said.
“I’ve been here for 17 years and hopefully this won’t happen again.”
The alleged trespasser still has matters before court.